2000n4everblogspot.co.uk

Monday 26 August 2013

‘How my maid stole my baby’


Cynthia James (not real name) had gone to work when her maid of only two days made away with her baby. The mother of two recounts her ordeal, which she described as “seven days of hell”.

Leaving their child in the care of a maid is a lifestyle very rampant in Nigeria today. These housemaids are usually acquired from organized ‘companies’ who bring them for villages and all sorts of places.
In her case, Mrs. James got hers on June 27th from a taxi driver, Mr. Samuel Idu, whom had driven her for over six months. “When he saw that I had no help he suggested bringing his sister, Sarah, of the same parents to help me. Since he was very familiar with us, I agreed and I actually saw a resemblance that further convinced me of their relationship.

“But only two days after she came on Saturday 29th, she made away with my baby. I had gone to work and left her with my mother. As soon as my mum went to have a bath she took her chance and ran away with my one year plus daughter.”
When Idu was arrested and taken to the Police Station in Lugbe, “he said he knew a girl who knew Sarah but that he had picked Sarah from the street to bring to me, and really didn’t know her.”
Idu took them to Gbesa village, another fifteen-minute drive after the airport where the said girl admitted she knew Sarah and the taxi driver because they usually came together to eat at her canteen.  She was also able give us the contacts of another boyfriend of Sarah’s.

The boyfriend was picked up as well as Sarah’s elder sister whom he had directed them to. The sister informed them that Sarah had called their father on Monday night to say she was coming home to stay with him.

James said, “The father gave us the number with which she called him and at the tracking office they were able to point her location as Giri Junction where she was in transit. The police went there and stayed the whole day till about 6pm. Not long after, the elder sister’s husband then came to the station to tell us that she had been found. Around Sauka, we found Sarah in a church with her mother who had brought her there.”

Sarah directed the search party to the FCT Orphanage Home in Kwako, Gwagwalada where she claimed she gave the baby to a certain ‘aunty Nene’ at the Home, “which was false because there was no such person. The matron came and explained that a baby who had been recovered by vigilante in an uncompleted building was brought there and that they didn’t take her in because there was no police report.

“The vigilante took my baby to the Gwagwalada Police Station from where they were referred to another Home, SOS Children’s Home where we found my child. They refused to release her initially after much begging, crying and showing proof. They however, insisted we signed an undertaking that if anything happened to her we would be prosecuted.

She describes those seven days of search as the most hellish of her life. “Even when I’d try to brave it, my four year-old son didn’t help matter because every now and again he would ask for his sister. That would cause me to breakdown.

This experience is a very big lesson not to trust anyone and also investigate thoroughly before employing anyone to such a sensitive position.

Twenty five year-old Sarah, according to Mrs. James, didn’t give any explanations as to why she took the child.

“We are waiting for investigations to be completed before we go to court,” Mrs. James said.


DailyTrust

No comments:

Post a Comment